My Photo
Name:
Location: San Francisco, California

In my life journey I have walked with an unassuming gait, trying to find my way to happiness. I have come from naïve, carefree, and curious to skeptical and cautious. After only a few years of the latter, I realize there is a healthy balance that must be achieved. My goal is to find it, amidst all of this chaos I call my life.

Sunday, February 12, 2006

Josephine Baker (in History) - June 3, 1906 - April 12, 1975

One of my personal favorites, Josephine Baker wasn’t just an entertainer. Starting off at the young age of 13, Josephine entered the world of entertainment. She eventually ended up in Europe where she was able to grow as an actress in ways that would not have been available to her in the US. She eventually became the first black woman to achieve international stardom. During World War II, Baker worked for Charles de Gaulle's Free French, to fight against the Nazi’s. She provided cover for military intelligence officers and later served as a spokesperson for the cause in North Africa. For her work, she was awarded the Croix de Guerre and the Medal of the Resistance. Returning to the US for a short while, Baker fought for equality in the US. She insisted on a nondiscrimination clause in her contracts, and refused to perform at clubs that were not integrated. Adoptive mother of 12 children of various races, Baker hoped to create a community of racial harmony, “The Rainbow Tribe”.

Sites referencing Josephine Baker:
http://www.cmgww.com/stars/baker/about/biography.html
http://www.things.org/music/al_stewart/history/josephine_baker.html
http://womenshistory.about.com/od/bakerjosephine/p/josephine_baker.htm

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home