My Photo
Name:
Location: San Francisco, California

In my life journey I have walked with an unassuming gait, trying to find my way to happiness. I have come from naïve, carefree, and curious to skeptical and cautious. After only a few years of the latter, I realize there is a healthy balance that must be achieved. My goal is to find it, amidst all of this chaos I call my life.

Monday, February 06, 2006

Osei Tutu - King of Asante (In History) - 1680 - 1717 ??


Osei Tutu was the founder and first king of the Asante nation, a great West African kingdom in what is now Ghana. He was able to convince the chiefs in that region to join their states under his leadership, by exploiting a mutual hatred for their oppressor. According to legend, a Golden Stool descended from heaven and came to rest on Osei Tutu's knees, signifying his choice by the gods. The Golden Stool became a sacred symbol of the nation's soul, which was especially appropriate since gold (among other things) was the primary source of Asante wealth. During Osei Tutu's reign, the geographic area of Asante tripled in size. The kingdom becomes a significant power that, with his military and political prowess, would endure for two centuries.

Site referencing Osei Tutu:
http://www.5x5media.com/bhp/pages/oseitutu.php

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home