My Photo
Name:
Location: San Francisco, California

In my life journey I have walked with an unassuming gait, trying to find my way to happiness. I have come from naïve, carefree, and curious to skeptical and cautious. After only a few years of the latter, I realize there is a healthy balance that must be achieved. My goal is to find it, amidst all of this chaos I call my life.

Thursday, February 09, 2006

Jan E. Matzeliger (In History) - September 15, 1852 - August 24, 1889


Jan E. Matzeliger, born in Dutch Guiana served as a sailor for two years before ending his journey in Lynn, Massachusetts. There, Jan Matzeliger invented the Automatic Shore Last Machine (1883), a complex manufacturing device that revolutionized the shoe making industry. His patent was bought by the United Shoe Machinery Company in Boston, which became a multimillion dollar corporation, due to Matzeliger's invention. Matzeliger, however, died of tuberculosis in 1889 before the success of the business. Matzeliger's mechanical genius was not limited to this breakthrough. He patented a number of other shoe manufacturing items, inspired in part by his apprenticeship beginning at the age of 10 in a machine shop in his native Dutch Guiana (now Suriname).

Links referencing Jan Matzeliger:
http://library.thinkquest.org/10320/Matzelgr.htm
http://www.famu.edu/about/admin/vppa/News/Black_History_Moments
/Duke_Ellington/Henry_O._Tanner/Whitney_Moore_Young_/jan_e._matzeliger.html

http://faculty.washington.edu/qtaylor/aa_Vignettes/matzeliger_jan.htm

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks. I have a big project to do.

February 18, 2008 2:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am the kind of guy who passions to taste unused stuff. Presently I'm making my personalized photovoltaic panels. I am making it all by myself without the help of my staff. I am utilizing the net as the only way to acheive this. I saw a really brilliant website which explains how to build photovoltaic panels and so on. The internet site explains all the steps involved in solar panel construction.

I'm not exactly sure bout how accurate the data given there iz. If some people over here who had experience with these things can have a look and give your feedback in the site it will be awesome and I'd extremely value it, because I truly like solar panel construction.

Thanks for reading this. U people are the best.

January 26, 2010 5:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home