My Photo
Name:
Location: San Francisco, California

In my life journey I have walked with an unassuming gait, trying to find my way to happiness. I have come from naïve, carefree, and curious to skeptical and cautious. After only a few years of the latter, I realize there is a healthy balance that must be achieved. My goal is to find it, amidst all of this chaos I call my life.

Sunday, February 26, 2006

Linden Forbes Sampson Burnham (In History) - February 20, 1923 - August 6 1985

A somewhat controversial Caribbean figure, Forbes Burnham is either well admired or passionately despised. An undeniable visionary of great intelligence, Burnham may have put his ambitions ahead of the good of his country. In 1949, he established a private practice and plunged into local politics, joining Dr. Cheddi Jagan’s Political Affairs Committee (PAC), which became the People’s Progressive Party (PPP) shortly thereafter. Five years later, he split from the PPP to form the People’s National Congress (PNC). The split caused a racial divide and civil unrest amongst the Afro-Guyanese and the Indian-Guyanese. He was the Prime Minister of Guyana from 1964, at which time he led his country to independence in 1966. He later became the first person to hold the office of President in 1980. He remained President until his death in 1985.

Sites referencing Forbes Burnham:
http://www.guyanaundersiege.com/Leaders/Burnham1.htm
http://www.caribcentral.com/guyana/burnham.htm
http://www.infoplease.com/ce6/people/A0809546.html

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home