My Photo
Name:
Location: San Francisco, California

In my life journey I have walked with an unassuming gait, trying to find my way to happiness. I have come from naïve, carefree, and curious to skeptical and cautious. After only a few years of the latter, I realize there is a healthy balance that must be achieved. My goal is to find it, amidst all of this chaos I call my life.

Friday, February 24, 2006

Michael Manley (In History) - December 10, 1924 - March 6, 1997

My family adored him so much they named me after his daughter. Michael Manley was one of the most outstanding political figures in the post-colonial history of the Caribbean. He served as Prime Minister of Jamaica for 11 years. As a politician, labour leader, author and intellectual, Manley made great contributions to Jamaican, Caribbean and international politics. Driven by a passionate concern for equality and justice, he helped to pioneer legislative programmes of social reform in the 1970s and had a role in the formation of the Caribbean Community (CARICOM) and later the Association of Caribbean States (ACS). He campaigned for a New International Economic Order (NIEO), and in defense of sovereignty for ex-colonial countries. His leading role among world statesmen in confronting racial oppression, especially in southern Africa, make him an international figure of enormous importance for world politics during the decade of the 1970s.

Sites reerencing Michael Manley:
http://www.michaelmanley.org/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Manley
http://www.answers.com/topic/michael-manley

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home